COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
With more than 3,900 humanitarian workers employed, and an average of 180 projects per year across 25 countries throughout Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, COOPI is one of the biggest Italian NGO. During its more than 50 years of activity, COOPI has successfully completed over 1,700 projects in 65 countries, involving about 4.600 expatriate operators and 58.000 local operators ensuring direct benefits to approximately 100 Million people.
Within the Program Quality & Innovation office - that has a function dedicated to providing technical support to programs/field offices - COOPI is looking for a Protection Consultant that will be in charge of providing in and off site technical support and developing strategic documents on Protection, with a specific focus on its interlinkages with Education in Emergencies and Mental health and Psychosocial Support. The person selected should be available to carry out short-term field missions.
Ensure support on the protection programs that COOPI implements in the various countries. Notably, key areas of activity will encompass:
- Support assessment and strategic consultations
- Develop as necessary guidance notes, good practices, and other strategic regional and national documents in collaboration with country and headquarter colleagues;
- Provide technical revision of project proposals;
- providing internal training on the COOPI’s Standard Operating Procedures and Policies
- providing support to field offices/HQ staff to ensure the quality of programs on protection, education and MHPSS
- providing technical guidance to program managers upon request;
- providing guidance and inputs to the Head of PQ&I Office on innovative practices/new approaches and tools that could be utilized/implemented by the organization within the protection programs.
- Provide induction on COOPI tools and instruments to new employees and sector consultants
- Lead COOPI agenda on the relevant sectors and ensure collaboration with other sectors within the organisations
- University degree in Law, International Law, political Sciences or related field with good knowledge of International Human Rights and Protection issues
- Minimum 8 years relevant professional experience (of which at least 5 years in the field), on the protection of human rights, protection of refugees/IDPs and other type of people in need of protection (in particular GBV survivors, children associated to fighting forces etc.)
- Working knowledge of English and French is essential
- Knowledge of Italian would be an asset
- Previous experience in IDPs/Refugees operations or in carrying out programs directed to GBV survivors and children associated to fighting forces would be an asset
- Previous experience in writing project proposals for international donors (ECHO, UNHCR, USAID etc.)
- Knowledge of education in Emergencies and MHPPS is desirable
- Strong analytical skills and strategic thinking capacity
- Capacity to interact with different actors (internal /external) at various levels
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Able to manage a high workload and meet tight deadlines with results based approach
- Excellent reporting writing skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to complex situations
- Interest in working in dynamic and international contexts
- Respect for COOPI's values and principles