COOPI is looking for a Regional Manager in Latin America for its office in Bogotà
COOPI has been present in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) since 1967, in 2021 continuing to operate in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.
COOPI’s headquarters of its Regional Coordination for Latin America and the Caribbean is located in Bogotà. Today in this area COOPI mainly carries out emergency interventions and accompanies the subsequent reconstruction and integration processes in cases of migration, promotes pathways to reduce disaster risk, preserves environmental ecosystems, and promotes proper management of solid waste and a circular economy. With regards to more classic interventions in the sectors of economic and social development, the promotion of human rights, and the role of civil society in participatory governance, COOPI is mainly active in the region as a second-level organization, directing interventions towards technical assistance to local actors (institutional and non-governmental / civil society).
Purpose of the role
The Regional Manager is responsible for Regional Coordination, it means all of COOPI's activities in the countries under its jurisdiction and and the representation of the Foundation with institutions, donors, organizations and counterparts.
Collaborates with the Development and Knowledge area of COOPI in defining regional-countries strategy and priorities of intervention. Collaborates with Country Coordinators in identifying project activities with their respective donors and supervises them in carrying out their work. Ensures, in its countries of competence, the application and control of internal Procedures and Regulations and ensures that, during the implementation of projects, the procedures established by donors are respected.
S/he is also responsible for human resources management and economic performance of the area of competence.
- Develops and promotes relations with the Country and Regional Managers of the various institutions and donors and with international and local NGOs present in its geographical area of competence.
Strategy and programming / Planning
- Collaborates with the Development and Knowledge area in the elaboration and update of area and country strategies and in the definition of the respective operational plans;
- Ensures systematic monitoring of implementation of the strategies and the operational plans in the Country Coordinations.
Projects’/programs’ monitoring and management
- Supervises the process, the script and the preparation of documents which are necessary to present new projects, with the support of the headquarters office.
- Ensures the supervision of narrative and financial reports, to send all the official documentation of projects (contracts, official correspondence, reports, narrative and financial, partnerships agreements etc.) and preparation of monitoring documentation requested by the headquarters.
Administrative and financial management
- Is responsible, with support of competent offices, the budget analysis both forecast and final balance, and financial and economical trends of the country of its competence. (Preparation of annual budget and revisions);
- In coordination with the regional administration and the Development and Management area of Milano, supervises the economic and financial management of projects and coordination.
Human resources management
- Carries out the selection and negotiation of expatriate personnel for whom it establishes the TDR, the contractual amount and any benefits in coordination with the Human Resources area and the Staff Administration Office in Milano;
- Conducts performance evaluations for expatriate staff in their geographic area of responsibility and ensures that evaluations are conducted for coordination staff;
- Supervises country coordinators in the management of local and expatriate personnel under their responsibility and the proper application of security procedures.
- Coordinates the visibility and communication activities of the organization in the geographical area of its competence by referring to the headquarters function.
- Guarantees the preparation and update of country rules and procedures of security in harmony to the internal procedures of COOPI.
- Ensures the respect of donors' procedures and contractual limitations as well as contractual procedures of COOPI.
- University degree and a relevant academic background;
- At least 5 years working experience, including the last 3 in programming and management;
- Experience in coordinating a large staff;
- Experience in overseeing relevant budgets;
- Previous experience as a Country Coordinator;
- Ability to analyze, synthesize data and write reports;
- Excellent knowledge of Spanish and French language, written and spoken;
- Good knowledge of the English language, written and spoken.
- Proactive attitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, Institutions and local authorities;
- Excellent leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a multicultural team;
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations;
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills;
- Target oriented and problem solving aptitude.
- Previous experience in the geographical area;
- Previous experience with COOPI;
- Previous experience in project writing.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.