COOPI is looking for a Country Administrator in Iraq
The Iraq humanitarian crisis is recognized as one of the worst global crisis, with about 3,1 million of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), 11 million of people in need (with a total population of 36 million of inhabitants) and hundreds of thousands of people moving to go back to the recently liberated areas exhausted by the war.
COOPI has started its humanitarian action in the sectors of Education in Emergency and WASH, installing and activating temporary schools in 4 villages in the Qayyarah sub-district (south of Mosul), delivering formal and informal education, WASH in facilities and protection activities for about 1.200 children and around 70 teacher, psychologists and facilitators. Currently COOPI is renewing the project in new additional villages and it is delivering some WASH around Mosul area. COOPI is also expanding its activities in other areas in the Education in Emergency, WASH and Protection sectors.
Scope of the vacancy
The Country Administrator:
- is responsible for supervision, management and quality implementation of all aspects of COOPI financial and administrative operations in country;
- will report functionally to the HQ Area Administrator and hierarchically to the Head of Mission or directly to the Regional Coordinator;
- will based in Erbil with frequent missions on the field also outside the Kurdistan Region (Mosul, Qayyarah other areas) and to Baghdad.
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
- S/he ensures compliance with financial and other requirements set by the Donors and COOPI internal financial and administrative procedures;
- S/he monitors cash flows and supervise petty cash handling;
- S/he ensures proper administration for outstanding debtors and creditors, follow-ups overdue and signal potential problems in timely manner;
- S/he produces monthly cash and bank reconciliation statements;
- S/he prepares monthly, quarterly and yearly projects’ financial reports;
- S/he controls and assures compliance of program expenditures with program budgets;
- S/he prepares payment vouchers and verify supporting documents for project and administrative expenditures;
- Ensure classification of all financial information and documents in accordance with the projects and respective budget lines;
- Ensure appropriate filing system of financial documentation is in place, accurate and updated;
- S/he provides timely and systematic monitoring of program expenditures as well as timely budget program forecasts;
- S/he prepares, on a monthly basis, financial reports and/or requests to be sent to COOPI Milan HQs;
Build relationship with the banks for a proper financial management;
- S/he supports the Head of Mission and Project Managers in budget preparation as well as proposals development.
- S/he supervises preparation of contracts for personnel staff;
- S/he manage contracts of local and international staff and supervises administration staff;
- Application of mechanisms relative to any on the job training of personnel working on the project;
- S/he coordinates and supervises overall human resources policy implementation, included Labour Law application, recruitment and that staff salaries are effectively paid to eligible staff and an audit trail of records is maintained;
- S/he coordinates the Country’s registration documents, from the visas of the staff to the registration processes at the local authorities.
- S/he monitors the country’s security; s/he implements the security measure in accordance with the COOPI guidelines and with the Head of Mission.
- S/he supervises preparation of lease contracts, contracts with suppliers and any other contract issued by the program;
- S/he ensures that contractual commitments are accurately tracked;
- S/he supervises appropriateness and updating of all procurement documentation at the various steps of the procurement process;
- S/he ensures budget availability of expenditures and that appropriate authorizations are in place;
- S/he provides technical oversight to the procurement process and ensure proper supply chain management procedures are in place and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within COOPI country programme;
- S/he ensures that taxes are timely remitted to relevant authorities;
- Bring-up date the stock inventory.
- University degree in Economics, Business or Technical sciences.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience;
- Experience in international relief and development in Middle East countries in a similar position;
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs;
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure;
- Fluency in English language; knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurd;
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters;
- Proven capacity to work in a team; previous experience in managing staff;
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments;
- Knowledge of main donors’ procedures.
- Previous work experience in Iraq;
- Knowledge of COOPI’s procedures.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.