COOPI is looking for a Wash Program Manager in Iraq
Active in Iraq since end of 2016, COOPI is officially registered in Kurdish Region of Iraq since March 2017 and in Federal Iraq since September 2018.
In Salah ad Dihn governorate, one of the most affected by the crisis, COOPI has continously implemented WASH Program and emergency cash interventions funded by OCHA and ECHO since 2019, in consortium with international and national NGOs. At the same time COOPI has been implementing Education projects in Al Qayyarah (Mosul District) since 2018 through AICS and private funds and has started in the last year to carryout Livelihood activities with AICS funds to provide a multi sector support to people in need in North and Central Iraq.
Today, alongside wash and cash interventions, COOPI is bringin education, child protection, and livelihoods programming in the area, to provide a holistic response to the needs of the most vulnerable returnees and IDPs, especially those living in informal settlements.
WASH Program Manager (WASH PM) provides leadership and strategic direction of COOPI's WASH program in Iraq, under the supervision and in close collaboration with the Country Representative.
The WASH PM will be responsible for:
- implementation and development of the country WASH programme in line with COOPI's organisational and country strategy, policies and procedures;
- formulation of the WASH strategy and its implementation in accordance with COOPI policies, donor expectation, local and international legislation and in consultation with the Country Representative;
- coordination, implementation, development and supervision of WASH aspects of the COOPI projects;
- facilitation of the information flow between the field and the Country Office;
- managing and implementation of WASH projects;
- providing technical supervision on WASH component of multisectors projects.
Role specific responsibilities
Coordination and development of WASH program strategy
- Leading the design, development and update of the WASH program strategy under supervision of the HOM;
- Ensuring COOPI’s interventions in Iraq are in compliance with COOPI and WASH Sector principles, standards and global/country guidelines;
- Is responsible for the design, execution and elaboration of the assessments in reference to her/his knowledge of the field, in cooperation with the HOM, especially in reference to the set-up steps;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders and representing COOPI at relevant meetings (e.g. meetings with local partner, sector-coordination etc.) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships;
- Ensuring proper information-sharing with donors, Sectors and Local partners and staff supervised;
- Identifying strategic partnership opportunities with local and international partners, in coordination with the HOM;
- Contributing to the identification of potential funding opportunities, being responsible of proposals writing and supporting the project team for proposals writing to address the identified needs;
- Leading and coordinating program assessments, in collaboration with the MEAL team;
- Coordinates the overall implementation and development of the WASH program;
- Taking preventative and corrective action when necessary;
- Ensuring synergy between Program and Support Office, and with other programmatic areas;
- Ensuring the implementation of recommendations resulting from internal audit, experts’ field visits, HQ advisors etc.;
- Piloting the internal quality control, by promoting monitoring mechanisms, facilitating internal control and external evaluations;
- Integrate strong protection mainstreaming and accountability mechanisms across the WASH program;
- Is responsible of proposal development and writing, in coordination with HOM;
- Providing technical support, coaching and capacity building to national staff, particularly to Junior PM.
Implementation of WASH Program
- Directly managing WASH funded ongoing WASH projects in country and technically supervising the implementation of WASH component in other multisector projects and WASH project managed by WASH Project Manager, Deputies and Officers;
- Activity planning and management in compliance with the contracts signed with the donors and with COOPI and the donor’s procedures;
- Ensuring objectives and results are met within the required time frame and budget and according to COOPI and donors’ procedures;
- Is responsible for communicating with the donor and/or with partners in coordination and consultation with the HOM;
- Preparing the TORs of the field mission by the point of view of programmatic objectives for the approval of the HOM;
- Proposing field missions for the staff supervised by the point of view of programmatic objectives for the approval of the HOM;
- Is responsible for internal reporting to the HOM and to constantly update him/her about the progress of the project and about any issues in conflict with proper implementation on-time, on-budget and on-quality.
Administration and finance supervision
- Monitoring the administrative and financial management (expenditures vs budget);
- Supervising accounting and the project cash safe/bank account management;
- Ensuring the organization and donor’s procedures respect when purchasing goods and services;
- Ensuring the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all the project tools needed (e.g. databases, certificates, contracts with providers, training curricula);
- Ensuring the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all financial and narrative reports. Also, s/he is responsible for the preparation of all formal communication and contract modifications requests (ex. budget modification) of the managed and supervised projects;
- Is responsible of the correct management of all goods purchased for the projects, both directly and purchased by other offices/field offices. For all goods purchased by the project S/he updates the inventory, in cooperation with the Administrative staff;
- Is responsible of managing the database of beneficiaries in a proper way, by proper involvement of staff;
- Is responsible of planning the projects’ activities with support of staff and to properly follow-up the activities planned;
- Making sure that all the documentation of the project (soft and paper, such as distribution lists, sources of verification) are properly collected and archived for possible future audits.
- Is responsible for HR management starting from recruitment process, in coordination with the HOM and with the HR/Admin department;
- Is responsible for the professional development of the staff under his/her responsibility, including initial and continuous training, feedback, and evaluations;
- Is responsible for the performance of local partners involved in the activities.
Education / Experiences
- Advanced degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field are preferred or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 4 years of experience in the humanitarian field as project or programme manager or in a similar position;
- Strong project management skill is a mandatory requirement;
- Demonstrated experience in the field and in the sector of WASH will be a strong asset;
- Working experience within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated experience in Cash Programming;
- Previous experience with ECHO;
- Previous experience in country or in the region;
- Previous experience in business development and project writing;
- Knowledge of Arabic and / or Kurd;
- Valid driving license.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.