COOPI is looking for an Emergency Response Lead in Ethiopia
COOPI started working in Ethiopia in 1995, and is currently implementing numerous projects in the sectors of Water supply, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH), Food Security and Livelihoods, Shelter & Settlement, and Energy and Environment protection.
Purpose of the role
The Emergency Response Lead (ERL) will be in charge of the overall management, supervision and development of humanitarian programmes of COOPI in the Country. The ERL will ensure the highest level of technical quality at each stage of the programme cycle in the respect of international and national humanitarian standards.
- Monitor the humanitarian situation at Country level and support in the definition and implementation of the country strategy in the field of the humanitarian assistance, considering COOPI’s sectoral expertise;
- Collaborate with support department on logistical and financial requirements for humanitarian interventions.
Human Resources management
- Identify HR needs in the framework of existing and/or new humanitarian programmes;
- Provide essential inputs to the definition of ToR and Job descriptions for humanitarian staff members and consultants;
- Participate in the recruitment process for humanitarian staff; upon request, supports the recruitment process of international staff;
- Provide continuous training on the job and capacity development, including mentorship and coaching of staff assigned under the humanitarian programmes;
- Provide evaluation of performance of humanitarian staff members, as required by COOPI’s HR Manual;
- Collaborate to ensure that humanitarian operations are aligned to due diligence safety and security measures/policies in the Country.
- Support the PMs in their duties (preparation of the activities work plan, ToR for project activities implementation, procurement plan, financial plan, technical issues and issues related to contractors, suppliers and consultants);
- Participate in evaluation committees for the selection of suppliers, by providing technical inputs, if/when required;
- Ensure the proper application of the donors’ rules and the alignment of COOPI’s humanitarian programmes to the Humanitarian Response Plan.
Monitoring & Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Review and approve M&E plans for humanitarian projects in alignment to the logical framework of the projects;
- Provide quality assurance of M&E reports;
- Support the design of feedback and complaints mechanisms for affected beneficiaries;
- Ensure linkages and learning among technical advisors;
- Carry out field monitoring missions in the areas of interventions.
- Provides inputs required in any technical reports;
- Ensure a final review and quality of projects’s interim and final reports related to the humanitarian assistance programmes.
- Represent COOPI in the clusters and ensure the institutional positioning of the organization in the sectors of expertise and areas of intervention (I.e. WASH, NFI/Shelter & Settlement; emergency coordination meeting);
- Support the Program coordinators to consolidate and submit all required information and reports to the clusters of operation when needed;
- Support coordination with Humanitarian partners and other potential institutional partners;
- Support donors visits to the sites of project implementation.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of experience and education;
- Minimum of 5 years experience in management of international humanitarian programmes;
- Demonstrated experience in the management of human resources;
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field;
- Proven ability in teaching and coaching, including in the security domain;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Italian will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of humanitarian standards (Sphere and CHS, among others);
- Demonstrated experience in project design and project management funded by: ECHO, AICS, USAID, Rapid Response Mechanisms;
- Demonstrated experience in working and living in a complex political environment;
- Working knowledge of Office Package;
- Experience in working and managing multicultural team;
- Respect of COOPI values and mission;
- Respect of humanitarian principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence;
- Sense of humor and capacity to cope with stressful situations.
- Previos experience in Ethiopia;
- Previous experience with COOPI.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.