COOPI is looking for a Area Coordinator in Ethiopia
COOPI started working in Ethiopia in 1995, and is currently implementing numerous projects in the sectors of Water supply, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH), Food Security and Livelihoods, Shelter & Settlement, and Energy and Environment protection.
Description of the role
The Area Coordinator will be in charge of supporting humanitarian programmes of COOPI in the Country. The Area coordinator will ensure the highest level of technical quality at each stage of the programme cycle in the respect of COOPI, international and national humanitarian standards.
- directly supervise and monitor projects assigned guaranteeing their correct implementation in conformity with contractual obligations and donors’ procedures and in line with the COOPI’s procedures and management standards;
- support PMs in the preparation of projects' reports and all monitoring documents requested by the coordination/donors;
- assure the highest technical standards in the areas of expertise.
New opportunities identification
- verify and propose to the Head of Programme and Head of Mission the intervention priorities to consolidate new opportunities of involvement in the area of expertise;
- cooperate with the Head of Programme and Head of Mission in the identification of new project opportunities in the area of competence;
- support the elaboration, writing, and necessary documents preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Head of Programme and Head of Mission;
- to be responsible for the local staff management and training in the area of competence, in close cooperation with the relative functions at Country Coordination level;
- coordinate the staff assigned under his/her management, monitoring their activities;
- participate in the staff evaluation, together with the Head of Programme;
- support the monitoring of staff security under his/her management, and for the correct implementation and respect of the general security regulation;
Economic and financial management
- support the PMs in monitoring of the financial situation of the projects as assigned;
- participate in the preparation of projects’ budgets;
- support – through the administrative function – the respect of financial reporting deadlines and the organization/donor’s procedures;
- upon request of the Head of Mission, manage relations with institutional donors and potential ones;
- in coordination with the Head of Programme and Head of Mission, represent COOPI in its area of competence through relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations, Clusters and partners;
- to be also responsible for the Organization’s reputation in the area.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of experience and education;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in the management of international humanitarian programmes;
- Strong expertise in Livelihoods, including the use of cash transfer modality in humanitarian assistance;
- Understanding of emergency response programming for displacement situations;
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field;
- Proven ability in teaching and coaching, including in the security domain;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Demonstrated knowledge of humanitarian standards (Sphere and CHS, among others);
- Demonstrated experience in project design and project management funded by ECHO, AICS, USAID, Rapid Response Mechanisms;
- Demonstrated experience in working and living in a complex political environment;
- Working knowledge of Office Package;
- Experience in working and managing multicultural team;
- Respect for COOPI values and mission;
- Sense of humour and capacity to cope with stressful situations;
- Previous experience in Ethiopia;
- Knowledge of Italian will be considered an asset;
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.